Thursday, October 27, 2011

Blog Post # 10

After watching the youtube video "Do you Teach or Do you Educate?" I really took a minute to think about what I am truly going to do when I became an elementary teacher. The video describes what it means to be an educator rather than a person who just teaches facts and dates. The video describes an educator as someone who inspires, is a mentor, and is an advisor.
When I think about the teachers I had growing up I can only think of three who truly has made an impression as an educator in my life. I hope that when I become a teacher I can be a great example of what a teacher is supposed to be. I want my students to be life time learners and learn that they can go great things if they set their minds to it. I am glad I watched this video because it really put into perspective what I am really trying to accomplish with my education degree. I hope to learn how to be an educator rather than just a teacher in my everyday life.
A teacher at the chalkboard.



"Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home" by John T. Spencer is a little story about how sometimes educators can take a situation and blow it out of proportion. Mrs. Gertrude is arguing to Mr. Tom that students should not take pencils home because they do will do poorly on standardized tests. Mr. Tom quickly corrects her and tells her that they should encourage students to take home pencils, even if they use them to play games, because they can be used for learning.
This story illustrates how sometimes we can miss the big idea of things if we focus on the little stuff. Teachers can learn how to be creative with their students and show them how to productively use things such as pencils and most importantly technology. Educators may be afraid of technology because it can be a distraction to their student's studies. If we teach them to use it properly then they will benefit them more then they will know. When I become a teacher I plan on teaching my students how to use all of the tools they are provided to its fullest extent. I really enjoyed how Mr. Spencer used the story about pencils to show how educators can be sometimes. I am glad that we were assigned to read this post!

No comments:

Post a Comment