Saturday, November 19, 2011

Additional Post # 1

metaphor analogy about a knife in a back


This week our Edm310 class stepped back and learned a little more about metaphors. Dictionary.com's definition of metaphor is [met-uh-fawr, -fer]  
noun
1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”
It really got me to thinking about how often we use metaphors in our every day lives. Dr. Strange had us read a metaphor "Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home." Many of the students in our classroom, including myself, missed the metaphor illustrated in the story. I that in the future I can catch metaphors in my every day life more clearly. It is important for me as a teacher to really understand what the message in a metaphor is trying to say because we have a responsibility as teachers to teach our students what they are. I have really enjoy reading and learning about things like satire and metaphors in edm310. I hope to be an example in the future of someone who really gets the big picture when I am reading stories such as "Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home."

No comments:

Post a Comment