Sunday, November 20, 2011

Blog Post # 13

books sitting on top of a laptop

On November 12, 2011 The Wall Street Journal published an article "My Teacher Is An App." This article talks about how many states are beginning to have more and more online schools. Students can log in at home and do their school work at any age or any grade. "Many of the students that are taking a part of this online schooling are kids that were already home schooled, students that have medical problems that may not may not be able to be in a traditional school setting, or students that feel they should not be in school for peer pressure or bullying." Many people argue that having their children enrolled in these online schools is helping prepare them for college cyber courses. The concept of online schools seems to be relatively new because many states have not yet decided if they want to take apart of it.
I believe that having these online schools is a great alternative to many students who may not want to go to a traditional school setting. When I was a in the fifth grade I was really nervous about going into the sixth grade because the school I was going into had three elementary school fifth graders going into it. I decided that I wanted to homeschool for my sixth grade year and see how I would enjoy it. While homeschooling I found it really hard for me to focus on what I needed to learn because I did not have a good curriculum to follow. I feel like if I would have the option of online school I would have the structure I needed without the chaos of the larger classroom size. I hope that that more states come on board with this concept of online school because I know that there are many more kids in this world that may feel anxious about starting a new experience such as middle or high school.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jessica!
    I really like the idea of online schooling. It is a great way for those student who are in middle school or high school to prepare for college. It is a different approach to school and it seems like it would be more appealing to students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica,

    I agree that online schooling is a great opportunity for many American families. Personally coming from a family with a homeschooling background, I think that this style of teaching is beneficial to those with different religious beliefs or concerns about the public school system. While it is a pity that the public schools are so widely avoided, it is a fact. So, I think that the online schooling provides these families with a enriching alternate option. It is also a great way for advanced students to earn college credit while still in high school. I actually did this, and it was of great benefit. Good Job.

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessica!

    I sort of agree and disagree with this idea. I understand parent's concerns with public schools, but it is imperative that children interact with other children on a regular basis. I am a parent, and my kids do not go to public schools because of my concerns, but they went to daycare and the difference between mine and those who stay home with mom until they start school is startling! They learn so much just by being around others. But, if this was my only option, I would probably do it! Good post!

    ReplyDelete